Monday, May 21, 2012

The BEST!

This evening we were headed to church.  I put Annalee in the car while Connor waited in the other side...til he ran by me, giggling, into the front yard.  I obligingly chased after and scooped him up, and turned around to see this sweet bunny no more than five feet from us!

As Connor and I admired the bunny, I thought it was strange that he/she didn't run away.  We walked a little closer, and while our bunny friend twitched and looked so nervous, he/she stayed put.  We crouched down, wondering if it was hurt, and saw HER babies, nursing away!

 I had never seen anything like that and let's not lie...I was beyond thrilled!  We stepped back but she hopped away and left her babies squeaking.  We let them be and went on our way.

I thought they were gone when we arrived home (sad, because I thought something got them, they were too little to go anywhere!).  I showed Jonathan the spot though and he found them, they were just burrowed down in their hole.  We read online and apparently momma bunnies come back to their nests once in the morning, once in the evening, and once in the middle of the night.  We might have never even known they were there, and we bet Jonathan mowed the grass right above them on Saturday!

OF COURSE there would be flood warnings tonight...it has already started to thunder and rain.  Laura thinks I should put an umbrella over them...ha, we joked about it but I don't think it would work.  I hope they will be okay, watch for an update!

No comments:

Post a Comment