Thursday, January 31, 2013

Starting the New Year Right!

Be warned...this post has a lot of food in it.  It's not "it's January and I'm on a diet food."  Consider yourself warned! )
Not Annalee's 1st spaghetti, but first time eating it herself!

I have never made a turkey and I have roasted 1 chicken in my life (just kind of guessed and it was cooked but not especially tasty)...but after I ate my friend Peter's roasted chicken and veggies on New Year's Eve, I was inspired!

I looked online for "recipes" and one of the first top-rated ones I found was by Ina Garten...not usually my favorite but she IS one of Peter's favorites, so I thought it was worth a try!  I made a few adjustments but for the most part, stuck to it.

We did not have any "kitchen string" - so the lemon and garlic I shoved into the cavity were bursting out!  Not going to lie, it didn't matter.  The flavor was AMAZING!  I roasted the chicken with carrots, parsnips, and onion.  On the side, I roasted yukon gold potatoes and brussels sprouts.  Yum!  Connor pretty much ate...chicken.  So picky.  Annalee ate everything. :)

We've had some nice days in January (in NC!), so we've tried to zip outside when we have the chance! Getting in a little "catch".


I was making Annalee laugh one morning by tossing a blanket over her head, letting her rip it off and saying, "There she is!"  Connor wanted in, so I would put it over them both, but then he pretty much took over.  She seriously laughs so hard when her brother plays with her.  I love when they play together!


My sister turned 24 this month, so we drove up to celebrate with her!  She already got her sweet penguin footie pj's for a gift, so I tried to make her a special cake.  She likes caramel coffee drinks and also those chocolate oranges (I think you can only get them at Christmas?), so I thought this was a good choice!  It came in my Food Network Magazine, but here is the recipe!

Connor was busy coloring while I was cake-making.  "Brown."  The one color he always seems to recognize for sure!

We went out to dinner at Macaroni Grill, which was delicious, and they brought Laura a birthday dessert....which we did not finish since she had this giant, extremely sweet cake coming!  By the way, I read the one review of that recipe and it seems like the person had a hard time.  I used a boxed cake mix (b/c I didn't think it would be much different), but the chocolate ganache and caramel topping were not at ALL as difficult as I thought they might be.  I actually really enjoyed making this cake...I am not really one for fancy cake decorating, but I loved making the tasty topping and had no idea how easy it was to make caramel...just follow the instructions and DO NOT STIR!

Birthday girl!

Laura: "I'm six!"  Lindsay: "Uh, no.  You're 2-4, 24.  I didn't think you'd want that many to blow out." Laura: "Oh noooo I was thinking I was still 23!" :)

We met Laura's friend Pat and he had dinner and cake with us too!  He also held his first baby ever (Annalee) and kept her quite entertained while I was making the caramel and Jonathan was loading the car (Laura drove down our Christmas gifts for us!).



Laura and her nephew/Godson....Con was very happy to go on a trip to see Laura!  Happy Birthday, Sister, we love you!

Our friends Paul and Shelley are having their second baby this spring, and Mandy threw a beautiful shower for them!  The gender is a surprise and the theme was "Ready to Pop", everything was poppin' in some way!

Shelley with some sweet friends.

I wanted to make a diaper cake but had never done one...so my other friend Shelley (who made a diaper cake for Annalee) made it with me!  She did all the hard part...all the diapers and stacking...I did the add-ins.  The lollipops were our contribution to the "poppin'!"

Can't wait to see if that baby will be a boy or a girl, my guess is BOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment