Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Popcorn Popping

Connor is not crawling or anything yet - but he's pretty good at getting where he wants to go! This picture was just after he turned 5 months - he managed to turn on his stomach with his head at the opposite end of the crib from where he started... I shouldn't even bother putting a blanket on the floor for him anymore either - he just rolls across the room!
Spring is bringing lots of pretty things to see while we stroll! These white blossoming trees are everywhere and SO beautiful...but they stink! We had them in NY and VA too - I mean they smell like dead fish....hahaha. I also am suddenly having swollen itchy eyes - darn you, pretty trees!

We have been strolling and singing a song that I used to do with my 1st graders: "I looked out the window and what did I see? Popcorn popping on the apricot tree! Spring has brought me such a nice surprise, popcorn popping right before my eyes! I could take an armful and make a treat, a popcorn ball that would smell so sweet [NOT!]. It wasn't really so - but it seemed to be - popcorn popping on the apricot tree!"

These aren't apricot trees, but same idea! I always taught the song to 1st graders and gave them the mission of looking for trees like the song talked about. It was fun to see them so excited the next class, telling me where they had seen them during the days between classes!
Cutie boy! It has been warm enough and mostly dry enough to walk just about every day in March.
One day we saw 11 turtles, plenty of Canadian geese and tons of goose poop, lots of ducks - and Connor's special duck! I say that jokingly, but we never saw a white duck until after he was born and I swear this is the only one in all of the 15-20 ponds in our neighborhood! Sometimes we see him (her?) by himself, but on this day he was chillin' with other ducks and geese. I almost always see him when Connor and I are together!

We did not, however, see one of these! This is a "mud puppy" that my dad caught while ICE FISHING (yes, still!) at a lake near them in NY Apparently it is a type of salamander that lives underwater...you can kind of see its gills that are on the outside of its neck...and the little hands and feet! Strange - I wished Connor got to see it, but dad had mom take it to her classroom and then released it back into the lake. Something you don't see every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment