Friday, August 12, 2011

Feelin' Fresh

Early in July, our newspaper featured a farmer's market in a more rural area near us.  We set out that Saturday morning for an adventure with a small budget and hoping to find something delicious!

Did we ever!
4 different types of zucchini (I had never heard of an "eight ball zucchini"), 4 different colors of sweet peppers (have you EVER seen a PURPLE pepper?!  SO excited!!!), 1 hot pepper, 2 heirloom tomatoes, a couple handfuls of "stringless" green beans, potatoes (a Maine variety that grows well here), 3 peaches, dried Greek Oregano in a shaker with a handle, 1/2 dozen eggs (1 brown, 2 GREEN, 3 white!), garlic/chive goat cheese, and 1 beautiful purple flower my husband got for me!

The best part is that it is all local and most of the farmers/bakers/florists are there with their own products, so you can ask them as many questions as you want.  I don't think there is a single one that uses any insecticides on their produce and there were even two stands that sold grass-fed beef and other meats.  I think if we had enough money we would've bought one of everything there was!

Grilled zucchini (the big one in discs) and beans in foil packs.

Potato Salad - adapted from a Paula Dean recipe (surprise - no butter!  ha!  
and only 1 Tb. of mayo) with a rainbow of peppers.

Paired with turkey burgers made with fresh herbs, 
on homemade sourdough bread!

I don't think I would have a hard time blogging about food all the time but....on to more important things!!!  We've gotten to have a couple of fun pool playdates.  I stole these first two pictures from a friend (THANKS Lyndsey!) because I didn't take too many myself.

Love!  They're sweet :)

Ha!  Water loving cutie.

Both on the move, not paying each other any attention at all...

"Oh hey!  Are you playing over here?"  Hehe - til later Connor tried to hook 
Kylie by the lip and I had to do a little separation...he just loves her.  

We got out a new toy to try that had been given to us at a shower before C was born.  It only took me about an hour to put all the little pieces together - but success!  He was super interested in all the things he would turn and make sounds with...the walking with it is coming along.



Then it converts to a rider!  Awesome!

He definitely gets off by flopping his whole body to the side...hahaha.

Uh yeah.  My baby the rock climber.  I must say I'm proud!

1 comment:

  1. I love the 8 ball zucchini! And a purple pepper?! I remember when Abigail got the same walker at Christmas. Connor is getting so big.

    ReplyDelete