Have you seen my awesome Christmas present from my parents? My bright red immersion blender! This is what I've been using to puree all the foods you may have seen all over baby boy's face. Obviously - you can see what today's project was.

I also have these fun "ice cube trays" (thanks Ray family!) with covers so I can freeze baby sized portions of food. Consider this - for about 50 cents, I had a "dinner" portion of peas for tonight and 10 more portions to freeze!

NOW. If you are reading this and you make your own baby food, please tell me. Should I be straining the peas (I used frozen sweet peas - steamed) after pureeing them? They are pretty smooth and I mixed a little milk in before giving them to C, but still I saw some signs of "skins" from those little peas. I am wondering if it was taste or texture that got such a delightful reaction from my little one...
First bite.

"Mo-om!"

"What was that?!"

He likes peas about as much as his dad. That is...not at all. Sigh. Of course we'll keep trying. I think peas are DELICIOUS! What foods does/did your baby like best? I'm taking ideas! I also promise not to make every blog post about new baby foods - HA! It's the most interesting thing going on around here lately. :)

We have gotten to go to a few baseball games this spring (the fields are walking distance from us, so it's awesome!) but I haven't taken any pictures...who knows why. More non-food fun soon!
Great job, cooking mama! I make all of Abigail's food, too. She hated the texture of peas at first, wouldn't touch them. Now it's the only green veggie she will eat. She loves picking them up. I don't know if you have a Trader Joe's nearby, but they sell the petite peas that she likes a lot better. Keep trying the peas. I think for a couple of months Abigail only wanted pears and sweet potatoes. Then, all of a sudden she became a much more courageous eater. Have you been to weelicious.com?
ReplyDeleteI make Ellie's food too and we are about to try peas so I'll have to let you know how that goes. I bought a frozen bag too. So far Ellie loves sweet potatoes (of course), butternut squash, and green beans for veggies. She loves all fruits. I use wholesomebabyfood.com. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI think we tried straining the peas and you just end up with really thin pea juice. So you just have to cook them really well and include some of the cooking water when you blend!
ReplyDeleteSummer liked lots of things. Peas, green beans, sweet pots, carrots, apples, pears, beets, squash. Bananas and avocados are good because you can just mash them with a fork. Frozen cubes of zucchini work well to thin other foods out because the zuke is mostly water anyway. Glad you're making good use of the trays!